Burning feeling when you urinate? Feel like you need to urinate all the time but nothing comes out? Yup – sounds like a UTI all right!
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are the second most common reason people visit their doctors each year. Men get UTIs, but they are much more common in women. More than eight million women head to their doctor for UTI treatment annually. And 20 percent of these women will get a second UTI.
If you’ve ever had a UTI, you’ll probably never forget the symptoms. It usually starts with a sudden and frequent need to visit the bathroom. When you get there, you can squeeze out only a little bit of urine, and that’s usually accompanied by a burning sensation in your bladder and/or urethra.
The good news is that there are ways to prevent or remedy a UTI.
Symptoms Of A UTI:
You may have a UTI if you have any or all of these symptoms:
- You feel pain or burning when you urinate.
- You feel like you have to urinate often, but not much urine comes out when you do.
- You have pain in your lower belly.
- Your urine is cloudy, looks pink or red, or smells bad.
- You have pain on one side of your back under your ribs. This is where your kidneys are.
- You have fever and chills.
- You have nausea and vomiting.
If you suffer regularly from UTI’s then the old phrase ‘prevention is better than cure’ should be front of mind for you. You can often prevent a UTI by …
- Drinking more water: To maintain good health everyone should be drinking least half their body weight in ounces of water each day. If you get chronic UTIs, increase that by at least 10%
- Eating certain foods: Cranberries (dried, unsweetened are best – naturally sweetened is second best), blueberries, and pineapple all contain compounds which help keep the urinary tract healthy. Include these regularly in your cereals, smoothies, as snacks, etc. They should become your new favorite foods.
- Taking a regular probiotic: doTERRA offer a very effective probiotic PB Assist+ from doTERRA Wellness
- Boosting your immune system with doTERRA On Guard beadlets.
When You Have The Symptoms Of A UTI:
Once the symptoms of an infection start then tackle it by …
- Massively increasing your water intake. It’s so important to begin flushing your system so bacteria don’t have time to take hold and multiply
- Probiotics: As described above, you want to support the healthy development of good bacteria in your system, an important part of fighting infection. (I’d also recommend that you continue these after any bladder infection home remedy regime or if you’ve had to resort to an antibiotic.)
- Cranberry Supplements: These help to make the urinary tract inhospitable to bacteria. It’s said that bacteria can’t “grab on”, so they get flushed out and can’t multiply.
- Essential Oils:
- Lemon essential oil: Add a drop of lemon essential oil to each serving of water. More potent than lemon juice, lemon essential oil is a purifier for the body and can assist in your bladder infection home remedy efforts. (IMPORTANT: Never take your run-of-the-mill essential oils internally. doTERRA essential oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade and are therefore safe to ingest however many oils are not.)
- On Guard blend: Diluted with coconut oil, I suggest that you massage this over your entire abdomen and low/mid-back area (for kidney protection) every morning.
- Purify blend: This one I would either dilute and massage over the area or use with a warm compress to relieve any discomfort.
Call your doctor right away if you think you have an infection and:
- You have a fever, nausea and vomiting, or pain in one side of your back under your ribs.
- You have diabetes, kidney problems, or a weak immune system.
- You are older than 65.
- You are pregnant.
The information provided here is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. Click here to see our full disclaimer.